On occasion, I have poked around on the Tiffany website, because I was determined that someday I would have something from there. I have never been interested in "labels", and could honestly care less if any of my belongings are "name brands". What is the most important to me is quality, and simply if I like it. But what is it about Tiffany's that makes women swoon? I think its because over the years it has become synonymous with romance. C'mon ladies, remember the "Pick one" scene from Sweet Home Alabama? Or Audry Hepburn in her over sized sunglasses and black cocktail dress, smoking a cigarette in front of the window display? Well, whatever the lure is, it had me too. The funny thing is that most of Tiffany's jewelry isn't my taste at all, and the stuff that I liked was way out of my budget. Go figure.
To my surprise, I discovered online that they actually have several different kind of cuffs. I originally fell for another silver cuff that had inscriptions carved all over the face of it, but when I actually made it into the store on Fifth Avenue (the Flagship, 6 story boutique) I was discouraged. The bracelet was elegant to be sure, but not very comfortable and for all that money, I wanted something I could actually wear. Continuing to browse, I found another cuff that I didn't much care for online, but decided to try on anyway. And let me tell you, it was the most comfortable metal cuff I have ever tried on.
I had a friend with me at the time, who told me it was just my style and to buy it immediately (this was back in August). While I loved the idea, I resisted because at the time I had no job. Some money, yes. But no job, and did not know how long I would be with out one, so I could not justify such a luxurious purchase. Now months later, I have a job and am financially stable enough to finally make my purchase.
So, this past Sunday, after the morning service at my church, I went to get a manicure (because I figured, I'm about to buy the nicest piece of jewelry I've ever owned--I don't even own a single diamond--so I've got to have good looking hands to go with it!), then strolled over to 727 Fifth Avenue. Shockingly, there was a relatively small amount of "customers" (I say "customers" because 80% of the time they are usually just tourists), and was able to get assistance quickly.
My "Sales Professional" was a very nice middle aged woman with turquoise glasses, she was very hip. I tried the bracelet on one more time (this had been my 3rd time since August), and coolly told her that "I think I will go ahead and get it." She proceeded to carefully place it in a Tiffany Blue pouch, which went into a Tiffany Blue box, wrapped with a white satin ribbon, and finally put into a Tiffany Blue bag. And I didn't even have to ask for the box and ribbon! (Which I totally was going to do, after all you HAVE to have the box and bow.)
I gave her my debit card (Eek!), and she returned to me my receipt in an engraved white envelope. Then we chatted a few minutes about how this was my first piece of Tiffany jewelry, and my move to NYC from Dallas, ect. The whole process took about 15 minutes. The rest of my time spent in the store was to call my family about what I had just done. I told my mother, "I just spent the most money I ever have on something completely useless." Don't worry I don't regret my purchase at all; I proceeded wear it for the rest of the day. I even had it on later that night while I was in my pajamas...doing the dishes.
My Little Blue Box
The Unwrapping
Here it is!!!
This is a bit blurry, but shows how shiny it is!

8 comments:
pretty. and yep, its just your style
Thanks! I feel like the Bionic Woman or Wonder Woman when I'm wearing it--its ergonomically designed. Or I feel like busting out with the "Single Ladies" song, you know, in the video Beyonce's wearing a titanium hand piece? I would totally wear one of those...if I could afford titanium.
Oh my goodness!! I LOVE the cuff! And, I am so glad you told me you were going to post a blog on it, because it gave me a chance to finally catch up on your blog- all our Christmas/New Year's travel really threw me off! So, for the ease of things (which is important having a nearly-nine-month-old!), I will wrap all my comments into this one! I think the hair was SUPER cute! I loved the pictures of Central Park- a place I've only seen in movies. And, the link to the kitten with wings...WAY out there! And the list of things you asked if they made you strange...I was with you on a lot of them! I may just have to comment directly to that one anyway...
I really do enjoy reading your blog. It makes me wish that we'd had more of a chance to be "friends in person" here in Dallas! But, I love that technology allows friends to be anywhere! Keep up the fun posts!
i could totally see you staring in a wonder woman remake and deflecting bullets! I haven't seen the video. Beyonce isn't exactly someone I want to see or hear. :)
It's so you Amanda...well done! Is Geiger in the budget this yer?
Your parents were here for dinner tonight and told us about your little blog box. I LOVE your blog. You are a natch at the writing thing. :)
Aw, I've never had anything from there either, but I bought my sister a ring from Tiffany's for her 16th birthday. You are so Holly Golightly with your 5th Avenue Flagship Store Cuff!
Love you and miss you.
Anna
Selena-You're so sweet! I wish that we could have gotten to know each other better too before I moved, but that doesn't mean we still can't be good friends! And thanks for your encouragement & support! PS-I still think your kid is super cute!
Stephen-You MUST watch the video! Its really simple, but great at the same time.
Erin-Well the issue with me and Geiger isn't the money, but the time off and logistics. I maybe could swing an "extended weekend" there, but probably not a whole week. Also, since I don't have a car, I'd probably have to fly into Memphis...then I'm not sure how I'd get to the island from there. And who's going to share a tent with me, since everyone I know that's going has husbands and kids?! :(
Sandy!-Glad you found me! Thanks for the compliment! Coming from you, it is HIGH praise indeed.
Anna-Well,you need to drop some hints to your man! :)Miss you too!
Post a Comment