Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hair I Go Again


I don't know what my deal is, but every year or so I feel the need to make a change to my hair style (see #9 in previous post). In college I was in a community group, and to help facilitate everyone getting to know each other, each member presented their "Life Map", which is basically your entire life broken down into 4 or 5 periods of time. They encouraged people to be creative and use a theme for their Life Map to make it more interesting. I was having trouble coming up with a theme, but I knew I needed pictures anyway, so while flipping through old family albums my brilliant theme hit me. Hair. After going through hundreds of photos, I realized that I have had no less than 15 distinct hair styles. Yes, I've tried it all. Bangs, Perms, Long, Layered, Long-Layered, Bobs, Angled Bobs, Shoulder-Length, Spiked, and many more. Now I've added to the list-The Pixie.

I had been thinking about trying a Pixie for a while, but wasn't too sure if it would work with my hair type (very fine and very straight). But I finally mustered up the courage and had my stylist, the incredible Bethany Warren, do the honors. She did a fantastic job, but I'm still not too sure about how it looks on me, to be honest.

The frustrating thing about this new hairstyle is that every day it looks different, I'm never quite sure if its going to cooperate, and sometimes it doesn't. But the fun thing is that I can style it several different ways. I'm really excited because I'm able to spike it again! (A modified version of 8 years ago, for those of you who remember.) I love spiking my hair, but it isn't very "work friendly", and is it silly for an almost 29 year old to be spiking her hair? I'd like to think not, but it's fun to catch people giving me weird looks.

I got it cut while I was visiting Dallas, and every day after my Dad would say, "Let's take your picture!" I said no for about 5 days, and then on New Years Eve I decided to take him up on it. Unfortunately, he had to leave before I was ready, so he set up a camera and a soft box flash facing an empty wall in my parent's bedroom, and I went to town. It was fun pressing that timer, running around to my mark, and then striking a pose. The three at the bottom where another time after that when I gave into my Dad's request for more pictures, he took those in our driveway. Here are my favorites!












10 comments:

Leslie said...

So cute, Amanda! I love these pictures. Almost inspires me to cut my own hair off...

Amanda Simkins said...

Thanks, Leslie! Someday, you should give it a try! Although, you have such amazing hair right now as it is! And I just realized that I have not ever had your infamous "Triangle" hair style. You have definitely one-upped me on that one!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THE PICTURE!!!!!!!!!! you are so beautiful amanada and so photogenic! i love every pic and will show them to my mom. i honestly think you should condsider some modelling, you show so much personality and emotion in your face!

Anonymous said...

you are a freakin rock star. really. you should be in magazines! i'm only sorry i missed all the other hair scenarios...all i remember is verrrrry long! =) you look fantastic amanda!
ashley moore

Jon and Erin said...

I love you and miss you no matter what your hair looks like! I admit that my favorite is when it's longer but then again it's me talking and I haven't changed my hair style ever. They're awsome pictures though and I wish someone would make you a model.

Unknown said...

I used your hairstylist last night but didn't go for the pixie. Maybe next time. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, I remember the original. Was it really 8 years ago? I guess that's right. Wow, we are getting old. I like it spiked, but I am freaking out over how awesome it looks in those bottom three pictures. If you were going for a new look, that's it. I almost don't recognize you! Love you and miss you!
Anna

Elizabeth said...

3rd to the last is my favorite. Gorgeous!

Youssef Sleiman said...

Wait, the “Life Map”? Where did you do that?
I did one with a guy’s Bible Study in Denton. We didn’t exactly have to have a theme, but we did use graphs and charts and evocative story telling.
Was that with the Craig&Alyse group or another?

Hey -- COMPLETELY OFF-TOPIC -- Do you remember going out and having soup? What was it called? Pho, right? It absolutely is NOT in the Scrabble Dictionary. I feel cheated that I can't use my life experiences to improve my Scrabble score.

Amanda Simkins said...

I did it in Denton too! It is the very same "Life Map".

Whoa! Talk about a jog of the memory. I could literally see that memory materializing in my mind. (wow that's a lot of m's!) I do remember going out to that chinese place for soup! I don't quite remember what its name was, but I have to say that "Pho" sounds close. I can't say for sure, though.