I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of the fluffy white stuff. Oh, sure its really pretty when you're cuddled under a down comforter in your cozy little window seat, gazing out at the gentle white flakes as they float to the ground. And its so romantic when your holding the hand of your loved one, while slowly strolling through a park blanketed in snowy white. Those are nice. What is not so nice, is when you're trying to get to work on time and the snow is blowing so hard that you can't see (try this one wearing glasses, its even more fun). Or when the snow quickly becomes a mucky, slushy mess that covers all the places that you have to walk--and then you're forced to walk like a duck to get through it. Not so nice.
Snow is very inconvenient. Rain is annoying at the time its coming down, but it is usually no longer a nuisance once it quits. Snow on the other hand is a little less problematic while coming down, but the aftermath is much worse. Especially for us pedestrians.
Coming from a place that never sees snow last more than half a day, I made a new discovery about it that I did not know before moving here. You see, if it snows and continues to stay cold afterwards, then the snow will get trodden down and become ice. Yes, bumpy, slippery ice. This is the worst. I know because in our last snow dusting, I fell on the sidewalk while walking to work in the morning. But don't worry, it hurt my pride more than my hip. So, tomorrow I will try to stay positive about the "fresh" batch of snow, and try to not fall on my bum again too.
Here are some photos that I took throughout the day today of my snowy adventure:
Snow Courtyardsicle
Snow Streetsicle
Snow Sidewalksicle
Snow Hydrantsicle
Snow Carsicles
Snow Plowsicle
Snow Newsicles
Snow Bisicle (ha ha!)
Snow Tablesicle AND Snow Chairsicles
Snow Plantsicles
Snow Mesicle

5 comments:
you'll be happy to know that at least one reader laughed at the "snow bisicles." :)
Why thank you! I thought it was funnyiscle! I think I'm going to start adding "sicle" to the end of everythingsicle. It makes me gigglesicle!
The bisicle was classic.
In the PacNorWest, snow is an unbelievable inconvenience. One thing I’m surprised that didn’t make to your list is when, as a pedestrian, you’re walking along and the depth of the snow is higher than your shoes, leaking fluffy white stuff into your socks and making frostbite a concern – even after you’ve made it to your desk.
The snow and glasses thing – It’s incredible that people had glasses for about 200 years before they had contacts. Snowflakes, when you look at them up close, are outrageously beautiful and intricate.
On my glasses, they are a white blur that blurs everything else. I wipe it away. Now there’s a smear. Wipe at the smear, make a patch of ice on the glasses. Then, O THEN, you get inside. The warmth hits you like a Sunday morning fog. I greeted my boss this morning “Hiya Fred” only to wipe and see I’d greeted his wife.
Sigh. Snow has its place.
Sounds like you need to invest in some golashes and an umbrella, my friend. They work miracles. Except for the fogging up of the glasses, that's a whole other story. And it doesn't even have to be snowing for that to occur, just needs to be cold. I vote we get rid of cold weather and snow. Who's with me?!
Oh man, I missed a lot of your posts!!! I'm still trying to catch up. I laughed too and you look cold yet warm. I sure am ready for warm weather. Rain, rain go away!
Post a Comment