Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Goodbye, Brooklyn

Hello Friends! Here I am again after a long hiatus, and several things have changed for me over the past few months. Most notably, I moved (almost two months ago) to a new apartment in Manhattan! While I am itching to share about my new place, I feel like I should pay some respect, to the place that was my first home here in New York City. So, without further ado, here is my list, an 'ode', if you will, to Crown Heights.

Goodbye…B44 Bus, which has saved me multiple times from being extremely late to work.
Goodbye…Mega 99¢, Kings 99¢, and Crown 99¢ Stores.
Goodbye…African Hair Braiding Salons.
Goodbye…Jerk Chicken and Roti Restaurants.
Goodbye…10 minute walk to a subway station.
Goodbye…Key Foods, my slightly overpriced grocery shop.
Goodbye…Dread locks. Rastafari!
Goodbye…Dudes who smoked weed in the courtyard directly outside of our windows. Pew!Goodbye…Beautiful tree-lined Eastern Parkway.
Goodbye…Nostrand Laundromat, Inc., where I’ve spent many hours and quarters.
Goodbye…White shirted, drug dealers who hang around the street corners.
Goodbye…small bedroom and large closet.
Goodbye...Wheelie-popping motorcyclists on St. Marks Avenue.
Goodbye…Half bathroom. I loved you so much.
Goodbye…Nostrand A stop, always teeming with activity.
Goodbye…Red bearded essential oil and incense man.
Goodbye…To being the only white person on an entire street. And to being called "Snowflake" and "Snowbunny".
Goodbye…Jamaican accents.
Goodbye…Kelsey and Grace, my two crazy (and forgiving) roommates
Goodbye…Apartment #5.
Goodbye…Brooklyn, until we meet again.

Here are some photos I snapped on my last day living in Brooklyn. They were all taken within two square blocks of my old apartment.



























6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Amanda, are you going to start hanging out with the cast of the City? That would be so you.

Amanda Simkins said...

Yeah, I'm definitely not cool enough. First piece of evidence being that I had to Google "The City" to find out what it was. Ha ha!

aspire2 said...

Loved this! Dying to hear about the new place now, as I hope to crash in it someday.

Amanda Simkins said...

Thanks! Hopefully it won't be three months until I get to writing about it!

And you guys are more then welcome to crash our place any time! Sooner the better! :)

Youssef Sleiman said...

So where is your new place? Show us some pictures of that, snowflake.

Amanda Simkins said...

Patience, patience! It's coming soon!