Two weeks ago yesterday I had my first day at GP. A couple of days before I started, I received an email from my supervisor asking for my social security number, date of birth, and place of birth. For an HR form you ask? No, not exactly. She need this information to give to the Secret Service to do a background check, because she wanted me to be able to attend an event she had been working on. The event was none other than the opening reception for the Clinton Global Initiative being held at the Museum of Modern Art.
Now I would have been happy enough to attend any event at the the MoMA, since it is probably my favorite museum in New York and I am already a member. But the CGI event is obviously very high-profile, meaning world leaders, influential business people, and celebrities would be in attendance. I am not necessarily a huge Clinton fan, or anything, but was I was floored that on my first day, I would be "rubbing elbows" with these individuals.
There were 1500 people in attendance that night, and the party was held on the 1st and 2nd floors, as well as the sculpture garden (with illuminated bars and buffets). While all of the "lesser" guests were confined to these areas, there was a special VIP party on the 5th floor of the museum as well. In order to gain access to this party, you had to have special clearance--which I was fortunate to have (Yes!). During the evening, I was able to stand no more than 5 feet away from Bill Clinton, Jesse Jackson, Star Jones, Ashley Judd, Gisele Bündchen, and Tom Brady (who, might I add did NOT have a limp, nor a visible brace for his knee injury. Oh, and yes ladies, he is still that hansom in person).
I spent most of the evening wandering around, observing and taking it all in. After all, how much use am I after only being employed for a full 8 hours previous to the event? I did discover that they had the entire 5th floor open, so I was able to enjoy the marvelous artwork in almost complete solitude.
Leaving the event, I couldn't help but feel more than excited about my new job. Not just because I was around celebrities (which will not be a common occurrence), but because I can finally say that I enjoy what I do for a living. My only regret is wearing 4 inch heels to the event that evening. I was standing for 5 hours straight--my poor feet hurt for a solid week and a half afterwards.
Enjoy some photos, taken by yours truly, of my first day on the job. (Sorry if some of them are a little dark, the lighting was being difficult.)
The Crew hard at work in a make-shift "kitchen"
The "Green" Decor (made of recycled materials)
The Party Gettin' Started
(Note: The large screen is showing one of Salvador Dali's short films--that is actually him upside down. The MoMA recently had a fantastic exhibit called "Dali: Painting and Film". Its what made me want to become a member of the museum.)
The Secret Service Being Secretive
The Press Gauntlet
Little Piggy
The Prez's Arrival
Getting Grilled
Presidential Profile (He looks much smaller and older in person)
The Second Floor Buffet
Believe it or not, the woman standing to the right of the man with the blue shirt and tie is Giselle (The best I could do, while trying to be "discrete"--That's my boss' hand in the upper left corner.)
Me, My All Access Pass, and Monet's "Water Lilies"

7 comments:
what an amazing experience!! loved the pix
Thanks! It was pretty cool! You and Andy need to get on up here for a visit! We have plenty of room for you guys!
Amanda, That's AWESOME! I'm so excited for you. My heart is so happy that you enjoy what you're doing and have fun stories to tell already!
Very, very cool.
Anna
Sweet! Keep us posted on the "everyday" activities too! Cheers!
Love the lizard in the last pic! The suit looks good too! Nice choice. Miss you, love you.
Bethany
Hi Sister! Thanks! I love my lizard. :) (You're the best for helping me out that day I was looking for a suit!)
Post a Comment