Tristement
by François Coppée
Obsessed by these words, widowhood and autumn,
My reverie seeks no other to express
This melancholy, vast and monotonous,
That robs me of all hope and all desire to love.
Ceaselessly, it evokes a long, long avenue
Of plane trees, immensely tall, half bare,
In which a woman in deep mourning veiled,
Moves slowly forward on the pallid grass.
Her long skirts leave behind a wake,
Trailing and rustling in the fallen leaves;
She follows with her gaze the passage of a cloud
Before the wind, driving from the north, already cold.
She thinks of him, now absent, who was wont to say: I love you!
And under the wide low sky from which the light has gone,
Sees that, with the last chrysanthemum, yesterday
The last butterfly has also died.
And so she walks across the faded grass,
Weary of wishing, weary of submitting,
And always in her path, the plane-tree leaves
Fall with a sound as sad as sighs.
—In vain, to chase away these gloomy images
Do I call upon my youth, and that splendid summer.
I do not trust the sun, no more believe the roses,
And go about, head lowered, like a haunted man.
My heart’s so full of autumn and of widowhood
That I forever dream, under a pure, clear sky—
Of one in mourning—in a chill landscape,
And the leaves falling at first winter’s wind.
Lane of Poplars at Sunset
by Vincent van Gogh

6 comments:
As I learned from the special exhibit now going on at the MoMA, Vincent was an avid reader, which greatly influenced his paintings. The work featured in my post was inspired by Coppee's poem "Tristement" (or "Sadly"). It was actually the poem that struck me before the painting. I can see why Vincent would feel the need to visually express such deep, and beautiful words.
i didn't have anything to say besides "wow" after the poem... thanks for sharing!
I saw the exhibit this weekend, and I wrote down the name of the poem. Thank you for printing it; this is where google sent me when I tried to find "Sadly". I became a widow 18 years ago when my husband died in a plane crash at the age of 30. I have searched for love a long time, but I fear I no longer trust the sun, no more believe the roses and still really miss him who was want to say: I love you! Thanks for helping me find the poem. I have always loved Van Gogh, and now I am thankful to him for even more than his art.
MMMmmmmmm, sounds like the MoMA has affected you already.
Wow, donnad, you've left me speechless. I have "loved and lost" (which was my reason for posting this poem), but never in your capacity. Pray that someday you find Hope in your sorrow.
Youssef-It is currently one of my favorite museums, ever. I became a member after only one 2 hour visit.
Post a Comment